MARGO M. JOHNSON
Margo a professional artist is a life-long student of the arts. She is a native of Wilmington, Delaware and has taught in the public schools for 36 years. She was trained in Fine Arts and later in Education, graduating with a B.S. from the University of Delaware followed by a graduate degree from West Chester University. Margo’s Greek roots are the primary influence in both her approach to painting as well as her love of the outdoors. When traveling, either in Europe or locally, she stays in one location long enough to get to know the people and observe the influence that their environment has upon them.
Annual trips to Greece renew her spirit as she has the opportunity to reconnect with the people and more importantly, the Aegean Sea for which she has a special place in her soul. Her paintings have a special focus on how local light and color have an emotional impact on the landscapes and seascape. Intrigued by architecture and places that display the effects of age, wear and decay, she feels that these are a testament to their character and strength.
My travels, which primarily include Greece, France, Italy, England and Ireland, are great inspirations for my work. I am drawn to atmospheric vistas and urban landscapes. My paintings reflect the emotions I feel. Working on canvas or panel I initially build textures layering on heavy acrylic and finishing with oils. I am intrigued by the rich viscosity of the mediums which are key in creating my impressionist and expressionist works. It is my intention to direct the viewer but not define everything.
SELECT EXHIBITIONS and AWARDS
- DFVA The 2014 Spring Art Show at the Soda House at the Hagley Museum & Library
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours (POST) The William Penn House 1919 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Delaware Art Museum - Outlooks Exhibit . JURIED
- Artist's Equity - 64 ANNIVERSARY EXHIBIT JURIED . 3RD PLACE WINNER
- Center for Creative Arts. JURIED . HONORABLE MENTION Annual Members' Show
- Philadelphia Sketch Club, 150th Small Oil Exhibit - JURIED
- Open Studio at Heron Crest Studios, Aston PA GPS READING: Mount Rd. & Red Hill RD Aston, PA 19014
- Hardcastle Gallery Miniature Show .JURIED Kennett Pike, Centerville, Delaware
- Delaware Foundation of Visual Arts (DVFA) - JURIED
- Chester County Art Association- JURIED
- Art Along the River . Featured Artist: invitational
- Hardcastle Gallery Invitational . Small Works Exhibit
- DVAL . Wallingford, Pennsylvania. - 2nd Place Winner
- Artist's Equity - Exhibition. Pottstown, Pennsylvania - Honorable Mention
- Center for Creative Arts . 2nd Place Winner
- Darlington Arts Center-Best in Show